SPRING IS HERE AND SUMMER IS ON IT’S WAY
With the weather changing, we would like all of our patients to be protected from Ticks, Fleas, and Heartworm.
1. Ticks carry diseases, such as Lyme disease, Anaplasmosis, and Ehrlichiosis, and become active as soon as temperatures rise above freezing. We recommend Nexgard as a tick prevention for the months of Mar, April, May, and December.
2. Heartworm disease, a mosquito borne infection, requires prevention from June to November. We recommend Nexgard Spectra as a tick and Heartworm prevention for the months of June – November.
3. If you think your dog might hunt mice, rabbits, or other small mammals then he/she may be at risk of acquiring the new, ‘fox tapeworm’, Echinococcus multilocularis, that has potentially serious health consequences for humans. For these patients we recommend Nexgard as a Tick prevention, as well as Interceptor Plus for the prevention of Heartworm, Tapeworm, and other intestinal parasites.
4. For dogs who are five years of age and older, we recommend annual Wellness testing. Wellness testing consists of a blood test which allows us to pick up early signs of disease, much like the yearly blood tests done in people, when more can be done to improve health and longevity.
We are now offering blood testing for Heartworm, Lyme and other tick-borne disease as well as Wellness Testing.
If you can give us an accurate current weight of your pet, we can dispense enough Nexgard tick prevention to get you through until your pet’s scheduled appointment.
Please email the following to [email protected] …
- Your name
- Your preferred phone number
- Your pet’s name
- Your pet’s accurate current weight
- Is your pet a hunter? (see #3 above)
- Is your pet doing well?
We will prepare the parasite prevention and let you know when it’s ready for pick up. If you haven’t booked an appointment for the blood test yet we would be happy to assist you with this when you pick up the medication.
Stay safe and we look forward to seeing you for a distanced appointment soon!